I was working on a blog post the other day when I saw the counter on my site reach 2 million hits. I had to blink twice. Two million hits?! I never dreamt that there would be so much interest in my work when I began The Chirurgeon’s Apprentice in 2010. Thanks to everyone who has supported me on this journey. It is one of my greatest pleasures in life to share medical history with you. In honor of this occasion, I’ve put together some fun stats about the blog. And don’t forget that if you’re in the US, you can now pre-order my upcoming book The Butchering Art by clicking here.
Total Hits: 2,009,331
- Best Day: July 27, 2014 (33,163 hits)
- Best Month: July, 2014 (82,555 hits)
Top 3 Most Popular Articles
- Death’s Doll: The World’s Most Beautiful Mummy (163,102 hits)
- Renaissance Rhinoplasty: The 16th-Century Nose Job (130,765 hits)
- Behind the Mask: The Plague Doctor (112,596 hits)
- Twitter: 24,622 (Click here to follow)
- Facebook: 43,735 (Click here to follow)
- Instagram: 70,586 (Click here to follow)
- YouTube: 13,134 (Click here to subscribe)
- Blog: 8,107 (Subscribe to the right)
Total Words Written: 142,356
Number of Countries & Territories Reached: 212.
- Some of the most unusual include Congo, the Palestinian Territories, Syria, Micronesia, Iran, Tajikistan, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Antarctica, and my favorite: Vatican City. I see you, His Holiness!
Most Popular Search Terms: Guillotine, Plague Doctor, Neurofibromatosis, Vivisection, Corpse Medicine, Sweeney Todd, Barber-Surgeon, Syphilis Nose, The Knick, Mummy, Mermaid Syndrome.
Above artwork by the incredible cartoonist Adrian Teal.