Medicine’s Dark Secrets – Update

MDS LOGO

My Dear Donors,

It is with a heavy heart that I report to you that I have given notice of termination of my contract with Big Baby Productions Ltd, and will no longer be involved in Medicine’s Dark Secrets.

Over 7 months after filming finished, the production was significantly behind schedule and, in my view, was unlikely to be finalised. In an effort to find a way forward, I recently approached Big Baby Productions with an offer to take on the final costs of getting the production finished and made into a DVD for donors, in exchange for the footage and rights to Medicine’s Dark Secrets. My intention was to make it something that we could all be proud of, and to help ensure you, as donors, received your perks.

Unfortunately, Big Baby Productions declined this offer, and countered with one that I considered impractical and not commercially viable. In a final attempt to resolve matters, I extended my offer once more, asking Big Baby Productions to respond by 28 March 2014. That date has now lapsed with no response from them.

However, it has come to my attention that Lesley-Anne Morrison, the director of Medicine’s Dark Secrets and CEO of Big Baby Productions, has contacted several donors suggesting that she had recently sought to enter into negotiations with me and that she was waiting for my response. That is not the case.

Moreover, in a recent update via IndieGoGo to donors on 25 March 2014, Big Baby Productions has implied that the content and format of Medicine’s Dark Secrets would be undergoing major changes. I was not informed of this, nor did I consent to this.

As many of you know, I put my heart and soul into this project. I worked hard with Big Baby Productions on Medicine’s Dark Secrets for two years (during which time I did not receive any payment from them and incurred personal expenses), and I had high hopes that I would see the production on television.

I know that this update will come as a huge disappointment to you. I want you to know that I did not take this decision lightly. I have several exciting projects on the horizon, and through them, I will endeavour to make this up to you in some form or another. I have always appreciated your support. And, of course, do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Dr Lindsey (The Chirurgeon’s Apprentice)

By | 2014-04-03T15:08:14+00:00 April 3rd, 2014|Casebooks|15 Comments

1. Alex Anstey (@AlexAnstey) April 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Ugh – so sorry to hear that it’s come to this after the insane amount of work you put in, not to mention all your research that was used. SO many good things on the horizon – can not wait to hear updates of the future projects!!

2. Jennifer Beese (@bottlethecrazy) April 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Shame on Big Baby Productions. When I donated to this project, I did so because I’m a fan of yours and the passion you have for your work. I can only speak for myself, but I’m sure I’m not alone. It’s a huge disappointment to know that you’re no longer involved in this project, something that we watched you build. I truly hope this film gets made because it’s an important topic and needs to be shared, but know that it won’t be the same without you. Of course, you have my continued support on whatever projects you take on next!

3. Marie Wittman April 3, 2014 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Sorry to hear that Lindsey! Will look forward to the new projects to come!!!

4. Dr Guppy April 3, 2014 at 7:25 pm - Reply

Truly gutted. Onwards and upwards and good luck with the other things you have planned – I look forward to them!

5. praecantrix April 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm - Reply

Very sorry to hear that and good luck with your future projects.

6. Sondra Adrion Davis April 3, 2014 at 11:13 pm - Reply

I agree, there are many people who donated only because of you and your hard work! Your passion in the subject has made me a huge fan. It is unfortunate it ended like this but you are a natural star and I am very excited to see what your future holds!

7. Margot Magpie April 3, 2014 at 11:21 pm - Reply

A very sad announcement, but you did the right thing and I will continue to support your work! I donated because I believe in you and the research, writing, and stories you tell – a real shame that others might not value you for what you are really worth. The future will be much brighter as more reliable opportunities will come your way! Big love!x

8. Maverick ~ April 4, 2014 at 1:23 am - Reply

As someone once said, in the long run we are all dead. Sorry to hear this project didn’t work out but I’m looking forward to following your next adventure(s). Hang in there.

9. Peter J Ward April 4, 2014 at 11:25 am - Reply

So sorry to hear about all your time and effort being compromised. If nothing else, the experience will inform everything you do hereafter and prevent your subsequent efforts from shady people. Condolences, good luck, and keep up the good work in whatever venue is open. It is appreciated!

10. Gilberto April 4, 2014 at 12:19 pm - Reply

I’m sure you’ll make a fantastic lemonade out of this. To everybody’s enjoyment. The loss is on Big Baby.

11. nightsmusic April 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm - Reply

So sorry to hear about this. I was so looking forward to seeing the series, but there will be something else that will come of this and it will be bigger and better.

12. FORD Brian April 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm - Reply

Lindsey, It sounds like they may have been trying to drive you out. If/when they do get further funding, they may try to continue the production in a new direction which you probably wouldn’t approve of nor wish to be associated with. Perhaps you may consider having to take this issue to court. I don’t know what your contract read, but if they use your likeness against your will in the film already shot, in a production you helped fund and produce, you should be entitled to some control, and restitution of expenses, and penalties for their usurpation of control.

13. Margot Magpie April 25, 2014 at 3:25 pm - Reply

This is outrageous behaviour on their part. Im glad you have broken free from it and you’ll end up with even better work and networks. I cant wait to see what is next for you. You have my support then, now, always.

14. Jim Doran April 25, 2014 at 6:57 pm - Reply

This blows. Shame on Big Baby Productions indeed.

15. Estera May 13, 2014 at 11:10 am - Reply

Lindsey, are they allowed to do it? Didn’t you sign anything upfront? There must be some way of getting it back!