Dying the Good Death: The Kate Granger Story

_8

Recently, I had the privilege of interviewing Kate Granger, a 31-year-old physician who was diagnosed with an aggressive form of sarcoma in 2011 and given less than 5 years to live.

Kate made headlines in British newspapers when she announced that she was going to tweet from her deathbed, using her own death as a communication tool for opening up discussions about mortality. Kate and I talked about everything from the ‘over-medicalisation’ of death in the 21st century, to how she wants to die at home surrounded by friends and family.

Click here to read the interview on Medium.

I hope you find her message as inspiring as I did.

By | 2013-10-09T20:51:43+00:00 October 9th, 2013|Casebooks|6 Comments

1. John Carbone, MD October 10, 2013 at 2:53 am - Reply

Interesting, Professor, about the Ars Moriendi; I’d love to get an illuminated reprint with translated annotations sometime. As for laudanum and morphine, I’ll take them over the shiny brand name modern pharma cocktail du jour anyday, esp since the end result is the same.

2. Mary Jean Adams October 10, 2013 at 1:51 pm - Reply

When I need to have someone die in one of my novels, it can be a hard thing to write. Since my novels are set in 18th century America, I have to really work not to let my 21st century perceptions of the death bed come through. For example, what does death smell like? Not the death of a body discovered lying in the alley, but one of a well-cared for, but elderly person who dies in bed in her home. The room certainly wouldn’t be filled with the smells that we associate with death today.

• John Carbone, MD October 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm - Reply

Good point. The antiseptic lysol-ish smell of a hospital would be absent. I wonder what it WOULD smell like?

• Mary Jean Adams October 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm - Reply

John, a fellow writer, who is a nurse by day, suggested it would smell of excrement. Needles to say, that didn’t make it into my romance novel.

• vadocdoc October 11, 2013 at 6:15 pm - Reply

Yes, I suppose you’re right. Maybe a touch of Lysol isn’t so bad after all.

3. Gen October 16, 2013 at 8:56 am - Reply

It rather reminded me of some of Sara Douglass’ remarks before she passed away: http://www.voyageronline.com.au/sara-douglass-in-memoriam/