The Bloody History behind the Barber’s Pole

V0019646 A barber's shop, Alresford. Coloured reproduction of an aquaI am thrilled to announce that I have been asked to blog for the Huffington Post. But don’t worry, kind readers! I will never abandon The Chirurgeon’s Apprentice. I will continue to post original content on this site in order to satisfy your voracious appetite for medical history.

To keep you up-to-date on my latest morbid musings, however, I will provide links to the full-length articles from The Huffington Post here.

So without further ado, please kindly direct your attention to my debut piece: ‘The Bloody History behind the Barber’s Pole’—I hope you enjoy it!

*Please note that stockpile images which appear at the top of Huffington Post articles are not chosen by the author.

By | 2013-07-03T15:20:08+00:00 July 3rd, 2013|The Huffington Post|10 Comments

1. Dawn Whitehand July 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm - Reply

Fantastic… sounds very Sweeney Todd 🙂

2. Andy Cordell July 3, 2013 at 4:56 pm - Reply

The Chirurgeon’s Apprentice makes an excellent addition to the the Huffington Post, these are interesting and educational!

3. Don July 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm - Reply

Having never read the entire text before my medical school graduation, I was shocked to find myself chanting the part of the Hippocratic Oath that says “I will refrain from making cuttings in the flesh, but will leave that work for those to whom it is their calling…” (Gulp!) This was especially awkward, since I was about to begin a surgery residency. Only later did I understand the historic antipathy between physicians and barbers… er…surgeons.

• The Chirurgeon's Apprentice July 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm - Reply

Don – that’s fascinating! Would you mind leaving this comment on the Huffington Post article? I’m sure readers over there would be interested in this!

4. maximalspace July 3, 2013 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Wow! Who knew? Fascinating stuff 🙂 and congratulations.

5. jeanjames26 July 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm - Reply

I’m so happy for you!! This is such a creative site. The H.P. is lucky to have you.

6. Ally July 4, 2013 at 10:19 am - Reply

Congratulations!

7. Dan Stout (@DanStout) July 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm - Reply

Just a quick word to say congrats, then over to Huff to comment there. Great to see you continue to get continued exposure from Chirurgeon’s Apprentice.